Frequently Asked Questions

Can food allergies be accomodated at the Food Pantry?

The food bank staff and volunteers will do there best to accommodate your needs.  Be sure to alert them of your allergy each time you visit the pantry.  Please be specific of what you cannot have and what acceptable substitutes would be.

I am new to Windsor and need childcare. How do I find a daycare?

The Windsor Discovery Center is a licensed center which is managed by the Town.  For more information call 860-285-1400.

There are also several daycare facilities and private providers in Windsor.  For a complete listing contact United Way 211 by dialing 211.

I am having difficulty paying for daycare. Are there funds available to help?

Head Start is a pre-school option available to low-income families.  There is a head start program housed at the Milo Peck Child Development Center.  Please call 860-687-1643 for more information.

The State of Connecticut administers Care 4 Kids which is a program that assists parents who are working or are in school to pay for childcare.  For more information please call 860-723-1000.

I need to have my paperwork notarized. Where do I go?

Registered public notaries are available at the Town Clerk's Office.  Please call Town Clerk's office at 860-285-1905.

There is one notary also available at Windsor Social Services.  Please call to make an appointment at 860-285-1839.

I need help to buy formula for my baby? Where do I go?

Women, Infant, and Children Program, referred to as WIC, is designed to help women with babies to purchase necessary nutritional food items and formula. WIC meets the first Tuesday of each month in the Ludlow Room of Town Hall from 9:30 to 4:00. Please call 1-800-741-2142 for more information.

Is there any property tax relief available?

If you are 65 years old or disabled, you can apply for a reduction in your property tax assessment. Applications are taken at the Assessor's Office in the Town hall. You can call the Assessor at 860-285-1816 for more information.

I would like to make a donation. What do I do?

We welcome both food and monetary donations to support our various programs. Food can be dropped off during normal business hours at the below address. Monetary donations can be made payable to Windsor Food & Fuel Bank and can be mailed to:


Monetary Donations:

Windsor Food and Fuel Bank,

P.O. Box 854

Windor CT 06095



Food Donations:

L.P. Wilson Community Center

599 Matianuck Ave.

Windsor, CT 06095

Attention: Food and Fuel Bank


At this time we are most in need of: peanut butter, jelly, spaghetti sauce, crackers, macaroni and cheese, and toiletry items.


How do I get transportation to my medical appointments?

Windsor Transportation offers transportation to medical appointments in and out of Windsor. They also provide rides to the grocery stores, banks, libraries, pharmacies, and more. There is a brief application and a suggested donation of $35 per year.  For more infomration call 860-285-1992.

How do I get energy assistance?

There are several programs available to assist people with their energy and heating needs. First you must contact CRT at 860-580-5600 and make an appointment for the Windsor site. After that, there may be other assistance you may qualify through the Windsor Fuel Bank. For more information or to make an appointment call 860-285-1839.

What services are available for senior citizens?

Social Services has caseworkers who can assist you with coordinating services and referring you to the appropriate agency. The caseworkers can also assist you with a variety of financial assistance programs. Volunteers are available to help you with a variety of things as well such as shopping and visiting with you. For more information please call us at 860-285-1839.

How do I get SNAP (Food Stamps)?

We are available to help people make an application to receive SNAP, formerly known as Food Stamps. To make an appointment please call 860-285-1839.

What are the hours for the Food Bank?

The Windsor Food Bank is open Monday and Tuesday from 9:00 - 11:15 am and Wednesday and Thursday from 1:00 - 3:15 pm and Thursday from 5:00 - 7:00 pm.

I am new to Medicare. Can you help me understand my options?

Yes! We have two certified CHOICES counselors who can assist you with Medicare and its related options with supplemental plans, prescription drug coverage, Advantage plans, and more.


Please call us at 860-285-1839 to speak with a counselor or to make an appointment.

I would like to volunteer. Where do I start?

The Town of Windsor has many wonderful volunteer opportunities. There are a variety of opportunities available through Social Services. Some examples are working in the food bank, assisting people with grocery shopping, and much more! To receive an application or to discuss opportunities, please call us at 860-285-1839.


See the volunteer link on our website for more information and for a printable volunteer application.

How do I get to L.P. Wilson Community Center?

L.P. Wilson Community Center is located at 599 Matianuck Ave. Click Here for printable directions.