Marriage Licenses

Marriage Licenses

Public Act 09-232, Section 73, limits the town in which a marriage applicant may apply for a marriage license. As of October 1, 2009, marriage licenses must be applied for only in the town where the marriage ceremony is to take place. This change was made to increase confidentiality protections of the applicants’ social security numbers.


If you are planning to marry, you and your spouse-to-be must appear in person at the Town Clerk’s Office to apply for a marriage license. You must apply for your marriage license in the town where the ceremony will take place. If your ceremony will not take place in Connecticut, regardless of your residency, you must apply for your marriage license in that state.


Click here for an Application for Marriage License. An application may also be obtained from the Town Clerk's Office.


To apply for a marriage license in the Town of Windsor:


  • Both the future spouses must appear in person at the Town Clerk's Office to apply for the marriage license, as an oath must be taken by both parties.  Please plan to arrive 30 minutes prior to closing in order to process the marriage license.
  • You must also present the Clerk’s Office with a current photo I.D. - a driver's license, if you are a U.S. citizen and a passport or some other official government photo identification, if you are not a U.S. citizen.
  • The fee for a marriage license is $30.00, payable at the time of application. Sorry, we do not accept credit cards for payment.
  • The marriage license is only valid for 65 days from the date of the application.
  • You are required at the time of application to provide the Town Clerk's Office with the name, address and phone number of the person performing the ceremony
  • The original marriage certificate must be signed by the officiator and returned to the Town Clerk's Office where the marriage ceremony occurred by the officiator.


The Town Clerk’s Office will then record the marriage license and place it on file for permanent record. Once registered, the marriage license becomes a vital record and is referred to as a marriage certificate.

Justices of the Peace

List of Justices of the Peace

How to Become a Justice of the Peace

The manner in which Justices of the Peace are selected in Connecticut are outlined in Connecticut General Statutes Section 9-183a, 9-183b and 9-183c. In accordance with the General Statutes the total number of Justices a town is entitled to select are allocated first among major political parties and then among unaffiliated voters and minor party members. Justices are selected during the year or the Presidential election and serve four (4) year term.

Selection from the Major Parties

Two thirds (2/3) of a town’s Justice positions are allocated to “major” political parties that acquired that status by virtue having enrolled as members at least 20% of all enrolled party members in the state. Currently, only Democrats and the Republicans qualify under this provision, and therefore they each can select one third (1/3) of the Justices in each town in the state. The major party candidates for Justices of the Peace are endorsed according to the rules of each major party. The Democrats and Republicans endorse by the party town committee, a caucus of enrolled party members, or party convention between the 84th and 77th days before a primary, if applicable. The names of those endorsed must be certified to the Town Clerk no later than the 14th day after the endorsement meeting. The persons endorsed need not be enrolled in the party unless the party rules so prescribe. The names of Justice of the Peace candidates do not appear on the November election ballot. They are however subject to primary. The winners of the primary are the nominees of the party and become the Justices of the Peace. In the event that no petition is filed, the endorsees become the nominees and are qualified to serve as Justices of the Peace.


Selection from Unaffiliated Voters and Minor Party Members

The last one third (1/3) of Justice positions in each town are reserved for electors who are NOT members of the major parties. These minor party members and unaffiliated electors could become Justices by applying to their Town Clerk between August 1 and November 1 of the Presidential election year. Previously appointed non-major party Justices who reapply must be reappointed. After reappointing these incumbents, if the town clerk received more applications than there were slots for non-major party members, the clerk must hold a lottery on or before the fifteenth business day of November to determine the order of all non-incumbent applications. Those applications drawn first are appointed Justices until all non-major party slots have been filled. The lottery continues until all applications are drawn so that a can be established for filling vacancies.


Justice of the Peace Manual
Distributed by the CT Secretary of the State’s Office