Animal Control

Office Hours:

Monday - Friday: 7AM - 3PM


Contact Animal Control:

ACO Brian Davis

860-688-4545 ext. 556


For more information on locating a missing pet visit windsor on

 Animal Licensing

Windsor requires all dog owners to purchase an animal license for their pet. Licensing greatly assists in returning a lost pet to its home.  A license is the primary identification for dogs and must be worn on the pet’s collar. All other types of tags are considered secondary.

Ninety-five percent of the lost pets found without a license or ID tag DO NOT get returned home to the owner, but One Hundred percent of the lost pets found with an animal license get returned home to the owner. A lost pet's best ticket home is an animal license worn on its collar. 

Animal License fees for Windsor are:

All Unspayed or unneutered Dogs $19.00
All Spayed or Neutered Dogs $8.00
Kennel License $52.00

All dogs have to be vaccinated for rabies before a license can be obtained. State Statute requires that all domestic dogs and cats be vaccinated for rabies at three months of age.

For Your Information: Any wolf hybrid dog cannot be vaccinated for rabies under current Connecticut  law. There is no vaccination for rabies made for these mixed breed dogs.


The current adoption fee for a spayed/neutered stray is $5.00. New owners are responsible for obtaining necessary vaccinations and vet care from their own vet at their own expense. The adoption fee for animals that have not been spayed or neutered is $50.00, which includes the State of Connecticut Pet Population Program voucher. The voucher covers the spaying/neutering and two shots for your adopted pet.

Stray Dogs

A stray dog can cause an enormous amount of grief to people. Stray dogs have been known to cause traffic accidents as well as considerable damage to people’s property. Any person whose dog runs stray can be held criminally and civilly liable for damages the dog causes while loose.

If you plan to let your dog off its leash to run or exercise then you need to accompany the animal and have it under control at all times. If your dog is found to be stray, you can receive a citation. The maximum first offense penalty is $92.00. 

When approaching a stray or being approached by a stray, you should not try to catch it. Additionally, even if the dog seems friendly, do not try to pet or touch it. You never can tell when a dog will bite or cause a serious injury. If you have knowledge of a stray animal contact police dispatch at 860.688.4545 as soon as possible. All we need is a brief description and the last known area in which the dog was seen, as well as the time the dog was in that area. We will then patrol for the animal as soon as possible.

Barking Dogs

Unfortunately, there are those dogs that bark continuously in our neighborhoods. Here are a few things that you can do to prevent or report this type of disturbance. Most dogs bark because they are bored or want to play. In most cases , the owner is generally home with the dog. When the dog begins to bark, the owner becomes accustomed to hearing the dog bark and begins to mentally block the noise out, not realizing the disturbance it is causing to the neighborhood.

Preventing your dog from barking:

  1. Make sure there is plenty of food and water for the dog.
  2. Make sure the dog has enough room to run on its property and can't get its leash tangled on obstructions.
  3. When leaving to go out of town for any period longer than 24 hours, consider leaving your dog at a dog boarding facility.
  4. In extreme cases medical treatment can be obtained from a veterinarian.

Reporting a Barking Dog

  1. We will ask your name for the report. However, you may remain anonymous if you request it.
  2. We need an accurate address or area of the barking dog.
  3. If you know the owner of the dog this information will be useful to obtain an address.
  4. Any other important information about the dog that you can think of would be useful.